Powdered caffeine warnings from the FDA after teen’s death


2014-07-18 17:17

The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning about powdered caffeine after the recent death of a teenager who consumed the product. The FDA is advising consumers to be careful because an overdose is easy to achieve. Logan Stiner, an 18-year-old from Ohio, purchased and consumed powdered caffeine before he passed away.

Teen dies after using powdered caffeine

Powdered caffeine is available online and can be purchased at a low cost. Logan Stiner died from an overdose of the product, but he did not have to take a large amount to experience problems. Unfortunately, caffeine in powdered form is difficult to measure and extremely potent. This means that a small teaspoon can easily give a person the same amount of caffeine seen in more than 30 cups of regular coffee. Medical professionals believe Stiner consumed a lethal dose of caffeine, and an autopsy has supported this.

Powdered caffeine dangers and concerns

The ease of obtaining powdered caffeine has raised concerns about its consumption among teens and youth. An overdose is not difficult to experience, and some of the products have confusing directions. Experts state that some people could die after consuming one or more teaspoons of the products because of its concentrated form.

The Food and Drug Administration wants consumers to be aware of the dangers of powdered caffeine and to approach the product with caution. It is not regulated, and it is often sold in various concentrations that can change from one container to the next. In addition, measuring the product is a problem because a teaspoon is usually too much for a person to handle. Powdered caffeine must be approached differently compared to regular coffee or energy drinks. It is possible to experience several issues from a caffeine overdose that include rapid heart rate, insomnia, nausea, vertigo, confusion, convulsions and breathing issues.

Image: Wikipedia Commons