FluMist vaccine works but so do natural remedies and home treatments
Getting the flu is not a very pleasant experience and can in fact be deadly particularly for the very young and very old. Good news is it appears the FluMist vaccine is effective in preventing the flu in spite of reports contrary to this by the CDC reports NPR. However there are also many natural remedies to help you beat the misery of the flu reports WebMD.
FluMist is a live attenuated vaccine
FluMist is made from a live attenuated vaccine. This is anticipated to make it significantly more effective than the inactivated virus which is found in flu shots. It was very surprising for a lot of people when the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention made a recommendation not to use the nasal flu vaccine for the 2016-2017 flu season due to a lack of evidence that it's effective. More recently a Canadian study contradicted the research which lead to advice not to use the nasal flu vaccine by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices.
There are many people who prefer natural remedies to vaccines and medication for the flu due to concerns about the potential for side effects from vaccines and drugs. In fact, these 10 solutions may help to treat flu symptoms without Tamiflu. And so it's good to know there are many natural remedies which can help relieve the fever, sore throat and cough, aches, chills, and nasal congestion of the flu. In fact WebMD has listed many natural remedies to help with the flu.
There are 10 good natural remedies to help with the flu
1. Drinking fluids helps with the flu. The flu can cause dehydration, particularly is you have diarrhea or vomiting. It's therefore important to drink a lot of fluids if you have the flu. Water is a good choice. Electrolyte beverages and fruit juices are also good choices.
2. Chicken soup is helpful with the flu. It has been shown by researchers that chicken soup may help relieve the symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections such as the flu.
3. Rest is needed to help fight the flu. Rest helps to support the ability of the body to fight infection.
4. Keeping the air humid helps fight the flu. Nasal congestion and sore throat pain are eased by breathing in moist air. Hot steamy showers, steam vaporizers and humidifiers are good for this.
5. Making a tent with a towel over your face and a pot of hot water under it seems to help with the flu. The addition of peppermint or eucalyptus oil to the water seems to boost it's power to help break apart phlegm.
6. A warm compress placed on the forehead and nose is a very good way to help relieve sinus pain and a headache.
7. Throat lozenges and cough drops are generally very helpful in easing a sore throat and cough.
8. Salt water helps to clear up the thick mucus which may collect at the back part of the throat.
9. Nasal irrigation helps to clear up nasal stuffiness and post-nasal drip.
10. Choose a good caregiver. Assistance from a caring person can be very comforting if you have the flu.
These natural remedies for the flu really do lack the risk of potentially serious side effects which may be seen with FluMist. It's certainly worth considering the natural path to dealing with the flu. The natural remedies are safe and effective.